Submitted by Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN, Registered Dietitian/Health Coach, Franciscan WELLCARE
Here are some suggestions on how to navigate those summer BBQ’s without adding on the pounds!
- If you know you are heading to a party, cut back a little on calories the couple meals before you go. i.e., eat a salad instead of a sandwich for lunch.
- Add in some extra time in your workout if you know ahead of time you are heading to a party. Or if you overdid it at the party, tack on extra time in your workout the next day.
- Don’t go to your party hungry! Eat a small snack an hour or two before you head out so you don’t start picking at all the appetizers at the party.
- Scope out the buffet ahead of time to see what’s on the menu. Then pick and choose.
- Limit items with mayo (potato salad, coleslaw, pasta salad)
- Always choose salad, vegetables or fruit as one on your sides.
- Choose your leaner meats such as grilled chicken. If you are serving hamburgers, try and make the patties out of 90-95% lean sirloin instead of the boxed burgers from the freezer section.
- Limit the chips and desserts. If you choose one just watch your portions.
- Don’t forget that high calories beverages (Alcohol, pops, lemonades, etc) can add in a lot of extra calories.
- The main goal is to not overeat, watch your portions and don’t forget.. Have a great time!